As we study, experience and apply contemplative practices, we value developing and encouraging understanding self, others, and the world.
- Noticing body, breath, feelings and thoughts without judgment.
- Describing connections between our thoughts, feelings, and actions.
- Community reports experiencing enhanced clarity and focus.
The movement towards equilibrium among the various components of the JMU community and beyond.
- Appreciation of diverse ideas, individuals and experiences.
- Cultivation of respectful, appreciative, collaborative interactions within the JMU community.
- Creation of equilibrium through thoughtful consideration of all perspectives.
- Demonstrated by increasing evidence of well-being and tranquility in the JMU community.
We consistently work towards shared goals, utilizing the talents, skills and abilities of the JMU community towards a vision that is global and inclusive.
- We practice deep listening, striving to be present, reflect back what we have heard, and ask clarifying questions to gain understanding.
- We practice patience with each other, listening as ideas are communicated, through disagreement and misunderstanding; encouraging processing and reflection.
- We actively seek and invite collaboration from unlikely places.
Tuning in to others in a kind and sensitive way in order to alleviate suffering and create loving connections.
- The JMU community reports feeling supported in the pursuit of contemplative studies and practices.
- Observable acts of kindness are the norm.
- The JMU community practices deep listening
Creating a welcoming environment where all people including those with marginalized voices, feel accepted and free to participate.
- We embrace a broad spectrum of contemplative practices.
- Contributing to a culture where all members feel their voices are valued and their contributions are essential.
- Inviting and welcoming all individuals from the JMU community to engage in and explore contemplative practices.
The arising of personal or universal insight through study, dialogue, teaching or practice.
- Letting go of preconceptions, cherished notions, and allegiances that might inhibit direct, authentic experience.
- The community reports expansion and deeper cognitive awareness through mindfulness and a wide range of contemplative practices.
- We are committed to the ongoing and ever evolving unfolding of truth.